Search the forum,

Discuss tiler made a mistake tiling a wetroom tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If he refuses to put it right then threaten to take him to the small claims court to regain your losses..

Assuming Sam the man down the pub didn't do it for cash..

S

SpItal_Jeff

If he refuses to put it right then threaten to take him to the small claims court to regain your losses..

Assuming Sam the man down the pub didn't do it for cash..

No. It wasn't "Sam the man" but I've never met a tiler who works for anything other than cash.

At this juncture I am being realistic. Ask him to put it right and take it from there. Personally, I don't think I see how it can be fixed now without removing the full floor. What annoys me the most is that the one reason I didn't do this job myself is because a wet room needs to be done right and I was scared of making an expensive mistake. While the tiling may not be perect, I can live with it. I know the tanking underneath IS perfect. But he, who has done 80 wet rooms, and had used these exact tiles before, made a mistake at the single most important and crucial part of the job....and it's now causing me sleepless nights.

I've tried gently prying up the tiles; there is no movement. I'm worried about cracking the plastic drain or citing through the wet board. And if he does come and fix it I won't know for a long time if that joint it still waterproof.

My plan is, assuming he agrees to come back; inspect the tray closely after he has removed the tiles and make a judgement call.

Personally I don't think small claims court is an option. It only leads to more loses and frustration with no guarantees odd a favorable outcome.

Reaction score
Can it be fixed? How?

My question is CAN IT BE FIXED?

I did the waterproofing so I know it exists. That isn't the question.

THE TILES SURROUNDING THE DRAIN NEED TO BE REMOVED. CAN THIS BE DONE WITHOUT DAMAGING THE TRAY? HOW?

SO CAN IT BE FIXED WITHOUT DAMAGING THE SHOWER TRAY? How?

Excellent thread, not the most complex of threads, but an enjoyable one to read, by the way, I don't get out much.

After re-reading many of the posts I think I understand the question.
We're wanting a definite answer, non of this advise lark, a simple Yes, or No.

A yes or no, based on a total stranger being able to do a slow and steady tile removal, bash, chisel, scrape all adhesive away, type of job. Then obviously re-fit correctly with absolutely zero damage.

My answer is:

No.

Thanks.

S

SpItal_Jeff

Excellent thread, not the most complex of threads, but an enjoyable one to read, by the way, I don't get out much.

After re-reading many of the posts I think I understand the question.
We're wanting a definite answer, non of this advise lark, a simple Yes, or No.

A yes or no, based on a total stranger being able to do a slow and steady tile removal, bash, chisel, scrape all adhesive away, type of job. Then obviously re-fit correctly with absolutely zero damage.

My answer is:

No.

Thanks.

Let's not start this again!

No; I was not looking for a definitive yes or no. I was looking for the opinions from people in the trade whom I assume would have encountered a mistake or two before as to if the tiles can be removed without causing damage to the integrity of the shower tray. ..and if they can, what would be the best way to (edge your bets) remove them. I was going on the assumption that there might be a "trick of the trade" to get the tile up and fix the job without a complete removal.

I dont think it should be too far fetched to come to a tiling forum to look for that sort of advice?

D

Dumbo

No. It wasn't "Sam the man" but I've never met a tiler who works for anything other than cash.

At this juncture I am being realistic. Ask him to put it right and take it from there. Personally, I don't think I see how it can be fixed now without removing the full floor. What annoys me the most is that the one reason I didn't do this job myself is because a wet room needs to be done right and I was scared of making an expensive mistake. While the tiling may not be perect, I can live with it. I know the tanking underneath IS perfect. But he, who has done 80 wet rooms, and had used these exact tiles before, made a mistake at the single most important and crucial part of the job....and it's now causing me sleepless nights.

I've tried gently prying up the tiles; there is no movement. I'm worried about cracking the plastic drain or citing through the wet board. And if he does come and fix it I won't know for a long time if that joint it still waterproof.

My plan is, assuming he agrees to come back; inspect the tray closely after he has removed the tiles and make a judgement call.

Personally I don't think small claims court is an option. It only leads to more loses and frustration with no guarantees odd a favorable outcome.
I never work for cash . Perhaps you could threaten him with the tax man . I'm sure he would love an in investigation.

S

SpItal_Jeff

I never work for cash . Perhaps you could threaten him with the tax man . I'm sure he would love an in investigation.

I'm not getting ahead of myself. I'd rather not threaten anything. I'll start by along him to "do his best" and to"rectify the problem". He hasn't replied to me yet, but it IS a bank holiday weekend. He may willingly come back and be able to fix it.

This has caused me a few sleepless nights. As I said I was just going to find out of there was a trick of the trade to fix this sort of mis take. Thanks

Reaction score
there might be a "trick of the trade" to get the tile up and fix the job without a complete removal.

I dont think it should be too far fetched to come to a tiling forum to look for that sort of advice?

Ok, I missed that angle of questioning. So did every other reader.

I think you need a discussion with the 'Tiler' and come to a decision between you. If he's confident, great. If not, more discussion.

Not sure on the relevance of it being cash tbh.

S

SpItal_Jeff

Ok! Here is another question. ..

The thickness of the tile is 6mm (I think. I will measure one to be sure ).

Is there an attachment or a multitool that can be set accurately to 6 or 7mm which would at least remove the grout without damaging the surface of the tray?

Reply to tiler made a mistake tiling a wetroom tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen