Search the forum,

Discuss Electric Underfloor Heating Mat in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spare Tool

No need for such a high W in kitchen as with conservatory.

I did not plan to use uncoupling mat is this necessary ? my plan was to use 6mm insulating mats.
I wouldn't fit any natural tile on ufh without at least a crack mat..

S

Spare Tool

:pointup: as above you at least fit a crack Matt, with that in mind I'd look at the viaro pro as it's a decoupler too may work out cheeper over all, plus a great system,
It'd be interesting to see a price comparison..also working in the continued extra running costs for having no insulation between mat and screed.

F

Flintstone

I know your wel sorted with the ufh store but generally speaking, I would also be interested to know the cost different. With vario pro for example, you lay it and then tile it with stone. With regular heat mat, you lay it, level it then fit an uncoupler, that's quite expensive and time consuming and labour intensive

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yea thts what I meant haven't actually crumched the numbers but I think in terms of cost to customer, there would really be no massive price difference either way, but I think vairo would work a bit cheaper, if you include labour and materials over all

A

Alzak

Can someone explain me purpose of this "uncoupling membrane" ?

My understanding was that on concrete you stick insulation boards with flexible adhesive and then heating mat covered with white flexible adhesive which you stick marble tiles on ?

Is this not correct process for tiling and underfloor heating ?

electric-underfloor-heating-tiles-buildup-thermonet_1.jpg

F

Flintstone

That is correct for porcelain tiles. With natural stone they are soft and aren't structurally stable as porcelain, as you will find out when a few probably fall in two!
The uncoupling is basically a layer which separates the tiles from the substrate, it alows some expansion and contraction in the floor without it transferring to the tile. There often made up of about 3 layers so can move independently

A

Alzak

Ah I see now I knew that stone tiles are not as hard as ceramic and that was the reason for using flexible tile adhesive so any movement in substrate would not transfer to tiles.

With this uncoupling membrane can you just lay this over heating mat or you need something between heating mat and membrane ? would membrane take the heat from heating mat without any issues ?

Reply to Electric Underfloor Heating Mat in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen