Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling onto Ply, can it be a success? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have seen this twice before, there was a poly layer between joists and ply for moisture.
But maybe that was one because the finished floor was timber, can’t remember but worth checking.

Why not stick and screw 6mm Hardie backer to the floor before tiling instead of the Ditra.

J

J Sid

my main concern is is the floor under the ply completely dry!
this is what will happen if you trap moisture under Ditra onto ply.
WP_20130418_003 (2).jpg

AD1

TF
Reaction score
I have read a lot of conflicting opinions on using S2 over Ditra. I decided to go with Ultimate S2 as I read US and UK specs are different and S2 is suitable according to UK spec.

I did think the screed was anhydrite but from a quick Google search it seems it's not. It is a dry mix with fibre glass reinforcement and was shovelled in and packed in between joists and compressed.

The heating works perfectly, UFH manifold flow temp set at 50 degrees, the house is warm and our living has laminate which is warm to touch. Takes around 1 hour to heat up to temperature.

I also chose a 3mm V notch as this is what is specified by Ardex, should I go larger notch? I may need another tub if so.

Thanks for the replies.

O

Old Mod

... and to be honest, you’ll struggle to use Ultimate and not throw most away.
And to use that over top of Ditra, you’ll be lucky to return 3m2 a bag.
You’re looking at approx 15 bags to be sure you have enough.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What’s the reason for S2 being unsuitable?

Reply to Tiling onto Ply, can it be a success? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen