Search the forum,

Discuss New Build UFH Tiling in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

John Wingfield

Hi all

First post on here as need some advice. We are building a house and have got to the point where the floors need tiling.

The floor is a sand and cement screed that was NOT poured. It has been in the house since August.
The screed contains water based UFH which has not yet been turned on / commissioned.

I am going to be doing the tiling - done plenty before in previous houses, but never onto a screed with UFH. The chap in charge of the build has stated that we need to use a decoupling membrane on the screed to stop the tiles cracking.

I dont believe this is required, as the screed has had plenty of time to dry out (5 months) and I will have expansion joints between each room between the doorways.

Just after others experience / advice on this topic?

Thanks
John

J

J Sid

the floor needs turning on and commissioning.
some will say you can get away without an uncoupling membrane but I am in the camp which would advise some sort of uncoupling. There are many out there and not to expensive.

J

John Wingfield

I looked at Ditra which seems seriously expensive. I need to cover about 180SQM

Any other your would recommend?

O

One Day

Your risk lies in the fact that the floor hasn't been commissioned.
Once commissioned, and cooled - the cracks, if any should happen.
If you are fixing a porcelain, or strong stone then you'll likely be ok - especially if you have bays and expansion joints in the screed already.
If you're fixing a weak stone - marble / travertine etc then definitely uncouple.

Look at the cost of a membrane - even Mapeitex (probably the cheapest option at the moment) and you weigh up - how much do I value my stone/tiles?
- am I prepared to risk it?
- is the extra outlay worth the piece of mind?

Many of us have fixed long-lasting floors without Ditra, but never onto uncommissioned screeds without Ditra.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I would strongly recommend using one but if the customer declined I'd still be happy to lay porcelain without it providing the UFH had been commissioned

J

J Sid

as harry said tilemaster is an option.

I wouldn't say it was seriously expensive, I don't know what you've paid for your tiles and there quoted fixing costs are, but would estimate to supply and fix Ditra would be about 10% to 15% of that. Well worth the peace of mind.

Reply to New Build UFH Tiling in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen