Search the forum,

Discuss Grout problem in shower area in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jon B

The grout was bought last summer with a date of this coming June so in date. It has been stored in my house since november.

J

Jon B

I have registered the issue with BAL and Topps as per their procedure and I am waiting for an appointment for technicians from both to visit together. Apparently they will do test samples and they will test the batch number of samples they hold. I will be very surprised if either agree responsibility and this will probably waste more time but if I do not try, I'll never know. The thought of having to rake our 20 sqm of grout without damaging the tiles is a nightmare.

D

Dumbo

I have registered the issue with BAL and Topps as per their procedure and I am waiting for an appointment for technicians from both to visit together. Apparently they will do test samples and they will test the batch number of samples they hold. I will be very surprised if either agree responsibility and this will probably waste more time but if I do not try, I'll never know. The thought of having to rake our 20 sqm of grout without damaging the tiles is a nightmare.
Good luck . Let us all know how it plays out .

D

Dumbo

Just thinking does anybody know of a laboratory where tilers could send samples for test as we only rely on what we are being told by manufacturers that there is nothing wrong with their product .

J

J Sid

if it was me I'd post on twitter a few pick and a brief description and that you eagerly await a visit and tag both topps and Bal in.
keep them on the ball :)

J

Jon B

Slight change, I have a manager from Topps visiting in the morning to take photos and samples for BAL. Apparently BAL told him that mixing the grout too dry can cause grout not to dry properly. I have been mixing grout for nearly 20 years on 3 or 4 bathrooms a year and I cannot think I ever mixed grout "too dry", it is always a creamy paste thick enough not to drip off a grout spreader, always by hand, enough to do about 2m square a time and I never add water after the initial mix. We will see in the morning.

D

Dumbo

Slight change, I have a manager from Topps visiting in the morning to take photos and samples for BAL. Apparently BAL told him that mixing the grout too dry can cause grout not to dry properly. I have been mixing grout for nearly 20 years on 3 or 4 bathrooms a year and I cannot think I ever mixed grout "too dry", it is always a creamy paste thick enough not to drip off a grout spreader, always by hand, enough to do about 2m square a time and I never add water after the initial mix. We will see in the morning.
As I have stated on this forum before .
Too wet ,too dry , too hot ,too cold, insert as appropriate. Plus you can't prove any different

Reply to Grout problem in shower area in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen