Search the forum,

Discuss DIY Tiler - 90 sq m of large format porcelaine tiling making me nervous! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

woodie

Hi there, welcome to the forum buddy, I wish you the best of luck thats one heck of a job, i'm sure the guys and gals on here can talk you thruogh it though. as for cutting hloes for the toilet i always use a angle grinder with a 4.5 inch diamond turbo blade(it's like a hot knife through butter. Best of luck

E

evo

dont use pva mate but what a mammoth task for you good luck to ya and im sure you will be able to get the help you need on here but fair play to ya for taking that job on especially as you are under a bit of pressure from the plumber etc wud rather you than me for a first time that is good luck to ya though

P

PJPro

Hmm. I spoke with Dave from TradeTilers today. Thoroughly nice bloke and gave me loads of advice. His start point was get someone else to do it. Interesting....cos if I do, he doesn't make a sale.

His was a bit concerned when I mentioned the brick bond I intended and said that unless I was very careful, I'd end up with loads of lips. In his experience he's found brick bond is more difficult to lay them over irregularities in the surface than tiling in a grid. He also felt that I really should be going with normal (rather than fast set adhesive). I've spoken with Topps at Christchurch and the manager there (Brendon) has kindly agreed to exchange any bags of adhesive as required. He did say that he didn't agree with Dave and felt that fast set was the better option, especially on the floors.

Anyone have any views on the adhesive I should be using?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Dave at Tradetiler is actually a TILER.. mr topps is just a salesman..:)

i know who i would trust and slow set gives you more time but also it islonger before you can walk on the tiles laid.., next morning, so if that is ok then deffo go slow set..

P

PJPro

Dave at Tradetiler is actually a TILER.. mr topps is just a salesman..:)

i know who i would trust and slow set gives you more time but also it islonger before you can walk on the tiles laid.., next morning, so if that is ok then deffo go slow set..
Dave recommended BAL Gold Star. Unfortunately, Topps don't seem to stock that particular variant of BAL adhesive. So which should I go for?

It needs to be good for the wooden and concrete/screed floor, walls as well as suitable for and tanked area of the shower enclosure.

P

PJPro

Dave recommended BAL Gold Star. Unfortunately, Topps don't seem to stock that particular variant of BAL adhesive. So which should I go for?

It needs to be good for the wooden and concrete/screed floor, walls as well as suitable for and tanked area of the shower enclosure.
BAL Single Part Flexible (White)?

D

DHTiling

I think that BAL is a fortune... If you have a Tile giant to hand then Mapei Kera-flex maxi is a TOP adhesive and suitable for all that you have to do..

TILE GIANT
UNIT 1, POOLE TRADE PARK
YARROW ROAD
POOLE, DORSET
BH12 4QA
Telephone
01202 715106
Fax
01202 715144
Opening Times
Monday
09:00-18:00
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
09:00-17:30
Sunday
10:00-16:00

P

PJPro

I think that BAL is a fortune... If you have a Tile giant to hand then Mapei Kera-flex maxi is a TOP adhesive and suitable for all that you have to do..

TILE GIANT
UNIT 1, POOLE TRADE PARK
YARROW ROAD
POOLE, DORSET
BH12 4QA
Telephone
01202 715106
Fax
01202 715144
Opening Times
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
09:00-17:30
Sunday
10:00-16:00
Yes, there's also one in Christchurch. However, the grout and adhesive is all bought and paid for and will be delivered tomorrow. While Topps seemed happy to exchange the adhesive for a different type, I suspect they'll be less keen to give me a refund.

P

PJPro

While I was waiting for a reply, I took a look at the "Show us your work" thread. Wow!

Looking at some of the work on there has lead me to reconsider the brick bond idea and do myself a favour and go for either grid or random bond.

Reply to DIY Tiler - 90 sq m of large format porcelaine tiling making me nervous! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen