Search the forum,

Discuss Butech anticracking anti fracture mat - experience? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dumbo

If I was the tiler I would now be doing a test on this . Probably sandwiching a piece between two tiles leave for a couple of days then try and separate .

triode

-
Reaction score
Was your screed moisture tested?
that’s a large area, what type of screed is it please?
Sand and cement screed with reinforcing fibres, I'm told. It was not moisture tested but the adhesive seems well bonded to it.
Thanks.
[automerge]1571237440[/automerge]
A picture showing the back of a lifted tile and also the membrane where it came from , this would be informative .
Have attached picture with back of a lifted tile.

33_Broadway_tile001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dumbo

I would have to check but I think. Wrong size trowel for membrane to floor and not bedded in properly . Maybe adhesive a bit dry , see photo .
Also from picture of tile I think looking at tile edges it appears adhesive was applied to tile and not floor and that is why the bond is weak there
20170710_152229.jpg

triode

-
Reaction score
I would have to check but I think. Wrong size trowel for membrane to floor and not bedded in properly . Maybe adhesive a bit dry , see photo .
Also from picture of tile I think looking at tile edges it appears adhesive was applied to tile and not floor and that is why the bond is weak there View attachment 110489
Thanks, yes I noticed these areas in adhesive between screed and membrane that are not flattened and still ridged or notched. I was not around when tiles laid - are you saying the correct technique is to out adhesive on both back of tile and direct onto membrane before sticking it down?
Thanks,
Chris

D

Dumbo

Now I've just looked at the video and it would appear that tile was stuck well enough to the mat to make the mat delaminated from itself . So really not sure . I would test the mat .

D

Dumbo

May be lack of technique isn't the reason for failure but because of this you would struggle to prove to a manufacturer that their system is faulty . I would stick a patch to the floor properly , stick a tile on top using the correct technique including collapsing the ridges , leave it for a couple of days if using rapid set then lift the tile and see what happens. Also maybe do another at the same time just in case it needs to be left longer.

Reply to Butech anticracking anti fracture mat - experience? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen